1.16.2010

chomp on it and get back to me please

strange how natural it feels to fall asleep beside a lovers skin and bones. nothing is put on the shelf or hidden away: instead, all is out to be explored and learned . its pure and its raw & i remember a conversation with a friend once, discussing the measurement of love, and 1) how can we measure it if we have never truly known it? 2) how can anyone compare their love, since we all have different experiences / perceptions? it is an interesting concept that comes back to me from time to time. I know from my standards what i observe, perceive, aknowledge, understand, take in, digest, and so forth. but what about through anothers eyes? it is a bit exciting to know that even if i make an attempt to perceive the world through anothers eyes and mind frame, i will really never have any clue what they are thinking, because we have not had the same idential experiences. maybe, anyway.
thoughts anyone?

1 comment:

Michael McInerney said...

Going back to the previous entry - the world is pretty much symbols now. Love is perhaps something that is more primal, something that is a feeling - perhaps we feel it the same way but there are so many symbols to choose from to express what is felt, our takes seem radically different due to our command of symbols.

I think some things are only properly understood by the individual - whether a thought or feeling - it is sometimes understood best when it's inception occurs and you feel it happen. Often times I have a concept such as this and I try to put into words - most seem pleased but I am not and I often shrug and tell them "sorry, it's kind of an abstract thing to describe" even if they understood the words I choosed to use. For them to understand would require all of the nostalgia and attached memory associated with that feeling and it may be too much.

Some people have memory and experience, sensation even, attached with feeling, impulse, or a sort Pavlovian instinct. Some may associate love with pain, relief, security, etc. Sometimes these things are temporary, and some not. But we had to invent symbols so we could relate, in a way, so we could at least get to the point where we could sort of agree, move forward.

I suppose one could trick themselves into love, force a feeling, but love can be a fool's game just as gold can be. When love is shared, the same thing might not be felt but one might be in a sort of symbiotic relationship where the senses that are important to them, that make them positive and pleased are satisfied.

I think feeling and the knowledge of such can be shared, however. My friends and I had done mushrooms once and had concurred on this feeling, this thing that everyone should know, a sense of oneness with each other and the land on which we lived - this was agreed upon, expressed and felt with very vague symbolism, and not a great deal of it. Sometimes it takes the impairment of usual pragmaticism to get to the root of feeling without the use of symbols.

I think humanity as a whole pretty much agrees on the feeling and concept of love - I'm sure we all perceive it differently, and that it means vastly different things depending on who you are though, of course.

And thus, I will stop running in circles with symbols.